US - Blog.
The latest news, videos and workouts from the Escape Fitness Team.
How Does Breathing Help You Lose Weight? Ruben Meerman Explains.
Did you know you can lose weight just by breathing? Most people think that body fat is converted into energy or heat.
But this belief violates the law of conservation of mass, according to physicist Ruben Meerman.
His findings on this topic were published in the British Medical Journal and his TEDx Talk has received more than 10 million views.
Ruben's fascination with breathing, carbon dioxide, and weight loss stems from the personal experience of losing 30 pounds and then wondering where all the fat had gone.
What his calculations revealed was surprising. In fact, fat breaks down into the elements of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen - 84% of the fat people lose is exhaled as CO₂ and the remaining 16% becomes water.
Basically, the lungs are the primary organ through which we lose weight. In this fascinating interview, Ruben breaks down the biochemistry of weight loss.
Watch his TEDx Talk: https://youtu.be/vuIlsN32WaE
Ruben Meerman on the Escape Your Limits podcast.